Picklecombe Battery, initially constructed of earth, was rebuilt to become an imposing structure with granite casemates and iron shields between 1864 and 1871. Armed with 42 9-inch and 10-inch RML guns, it was one of the three main gun-platforms - along with Bovisand Battery, Breakwater Fort and Drake's Island - protecting Plymouth Sound. By the 1890s Picklecombe was equipped with new armaments, two QF and two 6-inch BL guns. Recently the iron shields were removed and the Battery was converted to residential accommodation with two new storeys added on the roof. 

Picklecombe Battery

Local Views

PLACES OF INTEREST